Just after 0900hrs this morning, the Hose Company, along with Level Volunteer Fire Company, was alerted for the report of a CO detector sounding at a residence in the 4300 block of Webster-Lapidum Road (Box Area 0152). As units marked up, Harford County Department of Emergency Services advised they received notification from an alarm company that a CO detector was activating in the residence, however they received no answer on call back. Deputy Chief 5, followed by Quint 535, was first on scene with nothing showing from the two story single family, however reported an audible alarm sounding from the dwelling and a gas powered generator running on the charlie side. Crews quickly shut down the generator and forced entry to a door on the charlie side, where they immediately found elevated levels of carbon monoxide throughout the dwelling. Crews then used two positive pressure fans to ventilate the dwelling before conducting readings again, which proved negative.
As a reminder, if you’re going to utilize a gas powered generator, make sure the generator is outside and atleast five feet away from any openings to your house (the further, the better). This includes doors, windows and any intake piping for your furnace. Also be sure to have a functioning CO detector installed in your residence if you’re operating a generator and/or have any gas powered appliances. Thankfully these homeowners weren’t home at the time and had an alarm monitoring service, otherwise the outcome could’ve been significantly worse and potentially deadly.